At a recent company meeting about change, I was asked to follow the following Rod Serling like instructions: Imagine if you will, a powerful and prosperous country; truly a world leader. Consider the following facts about this country:
- It is a large, representative democracy.
- It has the world's largest economy, with the highest per capita GDP of any nation
- It's currency is the world's reserve currency
- It's largest city is the center of the financial world
- It's sphere of influence extends to all continents (except Antarctica)
- It's military was the most powerful in the world, thanks mainly to superior technology as opposed to overwhelming manpower
- It is engaged in the occupation of a large country in southern Asia
What would the future hold for such a nation? Let's ask the British in 1900.