Average guitarist Johnny Marr of The Smiths displayed his below average intellect by Tweeting his reaction to the fact that Conservative British Prime Minister David Cameron has gone on record suggesting that he like the "music" of The Smiths:
David Cameron, stop saying that you like The Smiths, no you don't. I forbid you to like it.
I'm a big believer in free expression, but I've got to side with Johnny Marr here. David Cameron is supposed to be an adult, a conservative, and the leader of Great Britain. Yet he likes a whiny and pretentious band than inspired a bunch of slacker losers to dress in black and wear eye liner.
WARNING: a blatant rip-off of a Steve Allen comedy bit follows
To prove my point, here are examples of actual lyrics from different songs that The Smiths wrote (note that despite the same theme over and over, each lyric is from a different song):
- I was looking for a job and then I found a job and heaven knows I'm miserable now
- And what a terrible mess I've made of my life; Oh, what a mess I've made of my life;
No, I've never had a job; Because I'm too shy
- And I've got no right to take my place with the human race
- Girlfriend in a coma; I know I know it's serious
- I am the son and the heir of a shyness that is criminally vulgar; I am the son and the heir of nothing in particular
- And the calf that you carve with a smile is murder; and the turkey you festively slice is murder
- So please, please, please, let me, let me, let me, let me get what I want this time
- Shoplifters of the world, unite and take over
- I know I'm unlovable, you don't have to tell me