Despite the fact that for years liberals have told us that "you can't legislate morality," the folks at MoveOn.org are now labeling the latest budget efforts by Congressional Republicans to enforce a modicum of fiscal sanity as "immoral." They've even created a top ten list of how the GOP budget violates their moral code. Key verbs are in bold.
Top 10 Worst Things about the Republicans' Immoral Budget
1. Destroy 700,000 jobs, according to an independent economic analysis.
An economic analysis that has been thoroughly discredited.
2. Zero out federal funding for National Public Radio and public television.
A list of the Ten Worst, Most Immoral Cuts in the GOP budget and public radio and television rank second for MoveOn.org? You again have to question the priorities.
3. Cut $1.3 billion from community health centers—which will deprive more than 3 million low-income people of health care over the next few months.
4. Cut nearly a billion dollars in food and health care assistance to pregnant women, new moms, and children.
5. Kick more than 200,000 children out of pre-school by cutting funds for Head Start.
6. Force states to fire 65,000 teachers and aides, dramatically increasing class sizes, thanks to education cuts.
7. Cut some or all financial aid for 9.4 million low- and middle-income college students.
8. Slash $1.6 billion from the National Institutes of Health, a cut that experts say would "send shockwaves" through cancer research, likely result in cuts to Alzheimer's and Parkinson's research, and cause job losses.
9. End the only federal family planning program, including cutting all federal funding that goes to Planned Parenthood to support cancer screenings and other women's health care.
I don't know about you, but when I think of Planned Parenthood the first thing that comes to mind is their cancer screening work. It's illuminating that even a group as liberal as MoveOn can't bear to say the "A" word. And here I thought abortions were simply swell. Wonder why they're not bragging about them?
10. Send 10,000 low-income veterans into homelessness by cutting in half the number of veterans who get housing vouchers this year.
Women, children, teachers, students, vets, and listeners to "All Things Considered." MoveOn managed to capture most of the usual suspects of liberal victims groups. I'm a bit surprised they couldn't find examples of how the Republican budget will kill old people and homosexuals, but I guess there will be plenty of time for that in the future. Because the destroying, zeroing out, cutting, depriving, kicking, forcing, firing, slashing, ending, and sending has only begun.